Coopers House restored

Coopers Technology College opened its newly refurbished mansion house on 7th June. This splendid occasion saw the Mayor cut the ribbon of what is to be the Sixth Form Centre, named after a formidable headmistress of the former girls technology school on the site, Miss Mary Anderson.

Coopers

Rob Carling who managed the £3million project was relieved to see this day come to fruition after three years of fighting wet and dry rot, damp and crumbling ceilings.

Our Heritage Representative, Joanna Friel gave a talk on the history of the eighteenth century listed building which included mention of Francis Cooper, a London lawyer after whom the building takes its name, Richard Stone, a silver specialist who developed the estate in 1784 and Captain Henry Bowden who endowed St Mary's Catholic Church over the road. She told the more recent history of the Firbank family, Ronald and Heather, both of whom left their mark on English culture through writing and fashion! Joanna exhorted today's students to leave their mark on the community, not on the building itself!

Coopers Mansion House is indeed an asset to be proud of. The students who showed us round were a real asset to the college, polite and interested. We join their Principal, Shirley Puxty, in wishing them every success in their studies; they are bound to be inspired by this magnificent restoration.

Mayor etc

The Mayor of Bromley, with Shirley Puxty, Principal of Coopers Technology College, and Rob Carling, who oversaw the £3m restoration.

Interior

One of the restored rooms